If you have an auto accident, what should you do? Here are some helpful do’s and don’ts if it happens in Tampa or anywhere else.
- If you are involved in a Tampa auto accident, do:
- Stay calm. It may take willpower but getting mad at the other driver accomplishes nothing.
- Make sure it’s safe to exit your vehicle. If necessary, get out on the passenger side or stay in your automobile until the police arrive.
- Check for injuries. If you, your passengers, or anyone in the other car(s) is hurt, call for medical assistance immediately.
- Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle and the other vehicle(s).
- Wait for the police and/or medical personnel and file an auto accident in Tampa report with the police department.
- Tell the police the truth when filing your report and let them decide who was at fault.
- Trade information with the other driver involved in the accident such as name, address, make and model of vehicle, license plate number, and insurance information.
- Ask witnesses for their names, addresses, and telephone numbers.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
- If you are in a Tampa auto accident, don’t:
- Delay medical attention. If you are hurt or even think you may be injured, seek medical attention immediately. Waiting too long could be a fatal mistake. Let a doctor decide if it is safe for you to go home or back to work.
- Give any statements to the other driver’s insurance company without legal representation. At the very least, have them contact your insurance company.
- Wait to have a thorough damage estimate done on your vehicle. The estimate should include the cost of repairing your vehicle with new parts and labor.
- Accept a fast settlement from the other driver’s insurance company.
- If you are involved in a Tampa auto accident, stay calm.
Staying calm after an auto accident will prevent you from making rash statements. Keeping your cool throughout the investigation as well as the settlement process will work out better for you in the long run and help you avoid making costly mistakes.
- If you are in a Tampa auto accident, do you need an attorney?
It depends on how the auto accident is being handled. If you feel your insurance company is not looking out for your best interests, then you should hire an attorney to represent you. A lawyer who works for you should be experienced in these matters and protect you and your family after an auto accident.
You can get help from the top Tampa auto accident lawyers for legal advice in accident cases. For trusted advice, visit the Bulluck Law Group website.