A hit and run accident is one of the scariest experiences someone can have. Even if there are no serious injuries, it can be alarming to have an accident happen only to watching someone involved drive off as if nothing ever happened.
If you’ve been involved in a hit and run accident, there are a few things you should do to ensure everyone’s safety and to help with the investigation.
Here are five things to do after a hit and run:
1. Move your vehicle out of the way of traffic if it is safe to do so. This will help to prevent any further accidents from happening. Encourage everyone involved to find a safe place to congregate.
2. Call the police and make a report. Be sure to give them as much information as possible, such as a description of the other vehicle and the direction it went. They’ll also collect information and statements from everyone present at the accident scene when they arrive.
3. Gather evidence at the scene if you can. This may include taking pictures of the damage to your vehicle and getting the contact information of any witnesses.
4. See a doctor as soon as possible if you have been injured in a hit and run accident. Even if you don’t think you are seriously hurt, it’s always best to get checked out by a medical professional. This creates a paper trail and ensures that if any injuries creep up, you’ll already be under medical care.
5. Contact your insurance company to start the claims process. They will likely need information such as the police report and any evidence you have collected.
Hit and run accidents can be frustrating and overwhelming, but by following these steps you can help to ensure everyone’s safety and make the process a little easier.